Monday, November 17, 2008

Prayers

Many of you in the LA area - and beyond - know all too well about the Triangle Complex Fire. It's amazing how quickly it's moved and as it drew closer to the place where my parents call home (and I did for 11 years), I watched with trepidation. On Sunday morning, I checked online to discover that my parents' neighborhood had been evacuated.

I called them immediately and they were in a restaurant with my brother and his wife (they live in an area well away from the fire) and seemed a little shell-shocked, but completely safe. They had a hotel room and seemed to be ready for whatever came their way.

I, of course, immediately started crying, which I'm sure is the last thing they needed...but I'm hormonal! Anyway, I held vigil for the rest of the afternoon hoping that the firefighters would do their magic (and magic it is) to keep the fire safely at bay. They have...so far. God bless them.

It appears that we're mostly out of the woods and I say that with hesitation because the winds could change at any time. But it certainly gave me pause about family and possessions and how although I knew my parents were physically safe, to have to face the thought of your home going up in smoke....well, it's a lot. They are just "things" but those "things" are memories and hopes and physical representations of success and a lifetime. I'm so grateful that they have not had to deal with the worse possible outcome and my prayers go out to those who have had to face it. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

I love you Mommy & Daddy! Annika said she was worried about you and was thinking about you. Me too.

P.S. A quick prayer for the Taylors who also were evacuated. Much love to you - sounds like you are also safe, and I will continue to pray that remains the case.

No comments: