Monday, November 17, 2008

4/28/09

Many of you know that when we first told Annika that we were expecting, she was absolutely adamant that it would be a 'baby sister.' She said that's what she wanted and she would teach it how to play with her dolls and would feed it a bottle. When pressed as to whether she could accept a a baby brother, she would pause and point at me and say, "You can have the baby brother. I will have the baby sister."

No, we are not having twins but we are having...a baby brother! Chris was convinced it was a girl and I had an inkling it was a boy, but you're never quite prepared for the official unveiling.

Chris and I are very excited, but disappointed for Annika who has become increasingly interested in the baby and had further asserted her insistence that it would be nothing but a girl. In fact, she had a few favorite names - Gabriela and Cutie Pie were her current favorites.

So, with a little trepidation and a lot of fear, we sat her down this evening to break the news. I brought her on my lap as Chris sat across from us and I said, "Baby - we have big news!  We found out if you're having a baby brother or baby sister today."

Annika raised her eyebrows.  "You did?..." she asked.

I said, "Yes!  It's a....baby brother!!!" And with much excitement as I could muster (the trepidation still a factor) I announced the news in a stage whisper with my lips pressed to her little ear.

Annika's face registered the news, and she sat for a second or two thinking about it. Finally, she hopped off the couch and starting jumping up and down, "A baby brother!  A baby brother! Yay yay yay!!!"  With big smiles she ran up and down the room and was genuinely excited about the news.

Chris and I hope that this new baby is as amazing as Annika.  Of course he will be. But wow, with moments like this, I do wonder.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Annika is so awesome!

kelly said...

i love it!

Annie said...

So exciting, congratulations! We are having a boy, too. Mike, like Chris, was convinced from the beginning we would have a girl, but I had a feeling it was a boy all along :)