Tuesday, July 28, 2009

2...the new 1?

Before we even considered having a second baby, Chris and I heard horror stories of additional children....we were told that having 2 wasn't twice the work...it was exponentially more work! A number high enough couldn't be assigned! Ahhh!!!

I'm sure I'll eat my words, but after 12 weeks, I have to say that 2 might be...wait for it....easier than 1. WHAT IS THIS?

Now, before we get crazy, let's remember that I'm still playing stay-at-home-mom/housewife right now, so maybe when I'm back at work, I'll be singing a different tune. We also have to take into account that Annika is in preschool 3 mornings a week and with her sainted grandparents a great majority of the rest of the week....effectively limiting my 'on the clock' time with both kids. And on the weekends I have a wonderful husband who happily shares the workload with me...it's a pretty sweet deal.

That said, when I do have both of them, it's...dare I say? Fun. Annika is usually a sweet dear (with notable exceptions) and makes it easy for me to feed Declan throughout the day or is patient when we have to delay her lunch by 20 minutes after I settle Declan down for a nap. She completely understands that he's a baby that needs much of my attention, and she is usually satisfied with the 1:1 time I can give her when he's occupied. We usually spend the day completing a couple of art projects, going to the park, or having a picnic outside. It's such a pleasure getting to know her during those moments that it makes the day go by quickly.

The flip side of that is by the time Chris gets home, I'm wiped out. With two kids, there is no downtime...but is that exponentially harder? KNOCK ON WOOD...not for us, so far. Declan appears to be gearing up for a teething tragedy while Annika is having a week of whininess unparalleled.

What makes it "easier" is that with #2, I sorta know what I'm doing. I don't worry about how much he's eating (apparently a lot), when he's eating, how much he's crying, what's he's crying about, when he's sleeping...you get the picture. Declan is not an easy baby, but he's not the roughest either, and I think having the experience with Annika oh-so-many years ago makes it so much more....possible. I don't fear so many things as I did with her...I just do it. I would imagine this has a lot to do with the assumption that first borns are high strung and babies of the family are waaayyy relaxed. It's all making sense...

Nothing is perfect, but I thought it was worth noting that we have it pretty good. I do recommend having the second kid! Sleep is not bountiful, your life is utterly centered around your kids but what you get from it - another little life to love, and a closer family than ever - makes it a pretty awesome thing.

Oh - are we going for #3? Hell no!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good advice and insight. :) Have heard plenty of horror stories, so your account is nice to hear. Keep us posted. We're quite "interested" in this subject. :)

Mandy Knotts said...

Okay, now your just bragging:-)!