Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mommies

Do any of you guys remember that there used to be a TV show called "Mommies?" I seem to recall it was horrible. How sad for us!

Yes...us...I am a Mommy. Wow. What a moniker. How hard to live up to that word and all it implies. And how quickly it becomes a part of who you are, how quickly loving your child becomes all of who you are.

I had a wonderful day today simply because I was with the two people I love most in the world - my husband and my daughter. Annika gave me a card and many smiles - and even said "Mama" after much prompting. Don't ask me if it were in context...because I won't tell you the truth.

But what I want to say is that I've learned so much from other mommies out there that I know. How much over the last 10.5 months I have learned from girlfriends who traded in their purses for diaper bags and who have fed their babies from their boobies...maybe with a little complaining (well, that was mostly me) but all of them - without fail - completely changed their lives for their little ones without question and with a whole lot of love. Happy Mother's Day to:

Lisa. My Annika's godmother was with me for every moment as we carried our babies in our bellies. Only 6 days after Annika joined this world, little Nico was born, and we've navigated Gymboree, breast pumps and sleep sacks together. She has taught me patience, joy in each new wonderful thing these kids do and how to use hair gel in baby hair. I love you Lisa!

Tam. Tam's love for her daughter is documented. If Tamara didn't live on the East Coast, I have no doubt we'd be strolling in the park with our baby girls as we traded secrets of how to get decent sleep while caring for a baby and succeeding at a full-time job. But what is the coolest about Tamara is that she is honest. She knows her limits - but she also pushes them and Lydia is the beneficiary of that. Tam - I miss you! Come back to me in sunny CA!

Katie. Katie is probably one of the nicest people I have ever known. Her kindness is sort of legendary - and you can tell that her baby girl Audrey and new baby boy, Jack, will have no choice but to emulate that. Katie is smart in the way she rears her children, understanding of everyone she knows and even manages to find time to make me feel better about the myriad of mistakes I tend to make. She also cooked me three casseroles after Annika was born which Chris and I basically lived on for a week. Katie - you are a *rock* star.

Laura. Laura is going to have her third baby girl - and if this one is anything like the first two, she is going to be a happy Momma. Her two girls are obviously so incredibly loved and cared for - you can tell this through the way they interact with people and each other. They are kind, funny and actually interesting people to hang out with - all at the ripe ages of 5 and 2! Laura is also the kind of person that knows the answer to everything, which has been such a comfort for me as I try to figure out what the hell I'm doing. Laura, Megan and Alina are so lucky to have you - and I am too!

Mandy. Travis was born just a day before Annika in an emergency C-section. Like, hello...did I even know Mandy had a C-section until 3 weeks after the little guy was born? And like, hello...did she actually send me flowers when Annika was born and Travis wasn't even a week old??? Yes! Mandy is the superwoman that you read about in the magazines. She has a demanding job and lifestyle, but that never slows her down - and she does all of this with a smile on her face. Mandy - you've taught me to stay happy in even the most adverse of conditions. You can come back to me, too, by the way!

And of course, my Mom. She isn't really a "girlfriend" but she is my friend and the one woman that I feel I know almost as well as myself. My mother has a warm, sweet heart and she wears her soul on her sleeve. She will always give you a hug and a smile and make sure the fridge is always stocked with your favorite goodies. She is a harsh critic - but she is fair - and she is constantly striving to be a better person. Mom - you don't have to be better. I like you just the way you are.

2 comments:

Mandy Knotts said...

Aren't you just the sweetest mommy in the whole wide world! Here is is a day for you to enjoy-- and your honoring other mommies! Thanks, Jen-- though I'm hardly a super mommy-- I do love my little man! It is such a blessing to be able to share these moments and memories of motherhood with you! I miss you and Annika a ton! Kiss her for me-- and Happy Mother's Day to you, Jen! Your humor, honesty and love are an inspiration!:-)

The Barbers said...

Jenn, you have no idea how much I loved that entry. I read it on a day when I need a little inspiration. And I then spent at least 20 min looking at your friend Mandy's blog, too!!! It's been over a year since we both spilled the beans about each other's pregnancies over email. What would we do without email? I am so glad we've been able to keep in touch. Maybe one day our ladies can meet!! --tam