Thursday, August 19, 2010

Part of the machine


Annika officially started her entry into the public school system this morning with little fanfare and a packed lunch she reported had melted before lunchtime. "The banana was disgusting!"

Her schedule is a little odd since she got the lottery-dictated "later gator" schedule which means her classroom day starts at 10:30 am. You can imagine how super convenient that is. So she goes to the on-site school daycare starting at 8am every day and is walked to and fro class at 10:30 and 2:30, respectively. Then she stays in daycare until a little before 5. It's a long day, but she's been a pretty lucky kid so far with her schedule...I have every confidence she'll adapt very well.

She told us that she made a new friend ("I am sorry to say I can't remember her name"), that her teacher was "really, really nice" and that overall, "this was the best day of my life!" Well, OK then!

We already had homework that we wrapped up before dinner, and she's now enjoying some evening downtime.

I did not cry. I think that the process was too fascinating for me as an observer - the parents, so very many parents, having the same experience as us - watching their pride and delight and fear...and watching them all box out the other kids who were trying to get into the classroom. It was contained pandemonium and before I knew it....it was over. And so are the days where she was our very little girl whose schedule we entirely managed...she's part of the machine now. Wow...I think I'm having a delayed reaction. Bye bye!

1 comment:

Mandy Knotts said...

Oh- wow- she started today! Craziness! We'll be right there with ya come the 30th -- where did the time go!