Sunday, October 16, 2005

It's in the name


I just love Annika's name. I do. I'm not ashamed! My husband was fond of the name, if not as ecstatic as I was - though he did (for all intents and purposes) get to pick her middle name (which I also love). However, it still surprises me that some people have a tough time pronouncing it or spelling it, or sometimes just are completely confused.

Perhaps I should have expected that from the fact that it doesn't break the Top 100 in the U.S. for girls names? Perhaps I should have expected that when we chose a clearly European name? Or maybe I should have had a clue when the majority of folks we shared the name with pronounced it "Anne-ika" (as opposed to Ahn-nika)?

We chose the name for a few reasons - 1) we wanted something not too common (check), 2) something classic sounding (so it seemed to me) 3) and something that was easy to pronounce and spell. Hahahahaha - I really thought it was!

But the name is making some strides!
Annika Sorenstam is the top women's golfer in the world (sorry Michelle Wie). Even Barbie plays Princess Annika in a straight-to-DVD movie (her prince's name is Aidan). It was even a victim's name in Law & Order: SVU!

I suppose the only person's opinion who matters is Annika's herself. I can't wait until she can tell us what she really thinks! And if she mispronounces her own name, I will laugh! :D

2 comments:

Summer said...

Auntie Summer likes her own not-so-common name, so Annika is in good company. In fact I even liked it when I was little. Of course it wasn't on the OC, then, but neither is Annika, so you should be fine.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture. It is as if she is telling me what I am reading. "So, Karolyn, it happened like this..." SO ATTENTIVE!